Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Devesh Pathrikar sentenced to three years' RI. (Source: The Lokmat Times)

Convict released on bail Convict Devesh Datta Pathrikar was released on bail after he furnished cash surety of Rs 15,000 and personal bond. The sentence will be suspended for a month during which he can appeal against the verdict. Devesh paid Rs 5,000 towards the fine slapped on him by the assistant sessions judge, S B Kachre. The convict has decided to challenge the judgment in the superior court. Meanwhile, the prosecution too has decided to seek enhancement of punishment from the higher authority. 
Devesh Pathrikar, son of Congress leader Datta Pathrikar, was today sentenced to three years' rigorous imprisonment and slapped a penalty of Rs 5,000 for abetting the suicide of Shweta Borse.
The first assistant sessions judge, S B Kachre, delivered the judgment amidst the packed court hall here on Monday noon. The convict will have to undergo imprisonment of three more months, if he fails to pay the fine. Ten witnesses were examined by the prosecution during the five-year-long trial of the case. The convict, Devesh Pathrikar, refuted charges till the very last.
Hardest punishment be awarded
During the arguments prior to awarding the sentence, additional public prosecutor, Rajendra Mugdia, said the toughest punishment should be meted out to Devesh as the charge of abetment to suicide has been proven against him. Shweta Borse, an engineering graduate girl with bright academic record, was driven to take the step of ending her life only because of harassment from Devesh. He was 21-year-old matured youth at the time of incident. Keeping the present scenario wherein there is an outcry over the crimes against women, the convict deserves maximum punishment, Mugdia contended. Adv Harshad Nimbalkar was appointed as the special prosecutor for this case.
About the case
As reported earlier, the 22-year-old girl, Shweta Vinayak Borse, ended her life by consuming a poisonous substance in her house situated in Cidco N-3 on the night of December 30, 2005. Her father Vinayak Borse had lodged a complaint against Devesh Pathrikar with the Mukundwadi police station accusing him of blackmailing her from time to time and forcing her to commit suicide. Devesh had reportedly taken objectionable photographs of the girl after giving her a dose of sedatives. The incident remained in media limelight as both parties - complainant and accused - are political heavyweights.

No comments:

Post a Comment